(A note for my SWBTS students:) You have been asking what textbooks I will be using next semester. Hopefully, this advance notice will allow you to shop for the best prices. You will find below a list of the textbooks for the three sections I am teaching.
CHURCH AND EMPIRES (sections 1203a and 1203b)
- A Short History of Byzantium, by John Julius Norwich – isbn. 0679772693
- The Middle Ages, by Morris Bishop – isbn 061805703X
- Medieval Philosophy (A New History of Western Philosophy, Vol. 2), by Anthony Kenny – isbn. 0198752741
EARLY WESTERN CIVILIZATION (section 1103A)
- The History of the Ancient World: From the Earliest Accounts to the Fall of Rome, by Susan Wise Bauer – isbn 039305974X
- Israel and the Nations: The History of Israel from the Exodus to the Fall of the Second Temple, by F.F. Bruce – isbn 0830815104
I am making some adjustments to the syllabus, but it should be available via Blackboard sometime during the next few weeks. If you want to do so pre-reading, I suggest starting with what interests you as you are more likely to stick with it that way. However, the texts will be tackled pretty much in the order you find them listed above. Enjoy!