The following books are required reading in the course “Family Issues In Christian Perspective” taught by Roc Bottomly, at Focus on the Family Institute.
Anderson, N. T. (2000). The bondage breaker. Eugene, OR: Harvest House.
Anderson, N. T. (1996). The steps to freedom in Christ. Ventura, CA: Gospel Light.
Arterburn. S. (1998). How will I tell my mother? Nashville: Nelson.
Burkett, L. (1989). The complete financial guide for young couples. Colorado Springs, CO: Victor.
Carroll, Bruce. (1999) Sometimes miracles hide. Howard Publishing.
Chapman, G. (1992). The five love languages. Chicago, IL: Northfield.
Cloud, Henry. (1995). The mom factor. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
Dallas, J. (1991). Desires in conflict. Eugene, OR: Harvest House.
Dayton, H. (1996). Your money counts. Gainesville, GA: Crown Financial Ministries.
Dillow, L. & Pintus, L. (2002). Gift-wrapped by God. Colorado Springs, CO: Waterbrook.
Dobson, J. (2001). Bringing up boys. Wheaton, IL: Tyndale
Dobson, J. (1983). Love must be tough. Dallas: Word.
Dobson, J. (1989) Preparing for adolescence. Regal Books.
Dobson, J. (1992). The new dare to discipline. Wheaton, IL: Tyndale.
Dobson, J. (1995). The new hide and seek. Fleming Revell Company.
Eggerichs, E. (2004). Love and respect. Nashville, TN: Integrity
Elliot, E. (1984). Passion and purity. Grand Rapids, MI: Revell.
Haley, M. (2004). 101 Frequently asked questions about homosexuality. Eugene, OR:
Hunt, M. (1996). The financially confident woman. Nashville, TN: Broadman & Holman.
Lucado, Max. (1997). You are special. Wheaton, IL: Crossway.
McGee, R. (1993). Father hunger. Ann Arbor, MI: Servant.
Parrott, L., & Parrott, L. (1995). Saving your marriage before it starts. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
Parrott, L., & Parrott, L. (1998). Getting ready for the wedding. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
Penner, C., & Penner, J. (1994). Getting your sex life off to a great start. Dallas: Word.
Reisser, P. (1997) Complete baby and childcare. Wheaton, IL: Tyndale.
Seamands, D. A. (1981). Healing for damaged emotions. Wheaton, IL: Victor.
Stanley, S., Trathum, D., McCain, S., & Bryan, M. (1998). A lasting promise. San Francisco: Josey-Bass.
Thomas, G. (2000). Sacred marriage. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
Winner, L.F. (2005). Real sex: the naked truth about chastity. Grand Rapids, MI: Brazo Press.
Wolgemuth, R. and B. & Devries, M. and S. (2003). The most important year in a
woman’s/man’s life. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
The syllabus describes the course as follows – – –
The purpose of this course is to equip students with personal strategies for promoting healthy families, by specifically focusing on marriage, parenting, and the sanctity of all human life. Students will be exposed to typical issues that most spouses and parents are forced to confront as they attempt to establish healthy marriages and families. Biblical teachings, existing research, and current popular techniques will be reviewed, with the goal of aiding each student in their development of a personal strategy for dealing with these areas whenever confronted by them.
1. To further enhance students’ understanding of the value of children.
2. To help students reflect upon the role that their parents had in shaping their current understanding of truth and love.
3. To help students develop a personalized strategy for conveying truth and love as a parent.
4. To further enhance students’ respect for the sanctity of all human life.
5. To equip students to build a lasting marriage by helping them to…
• Understand God’s design for marriage.
• Recognize the difficulties all couples must overcome to build a lasting marriage.
• Build strong connection in marriage.
• Prepare responsibly for marriage.
• Family of origin
• Family influences and homosexuality
• Parenting and child discipline
• Parenting and self-esteem
• Parenting teens
• Spiritual training of children
• Divorce’s impact on children
• Parenting disabled children
• Marriage purposes
• Marriages responsibilities
• Gender differences
• Personality differences
• Effects of Supernatural evil
• Effects of Past damage
• Conflict resolution
• Money management
• Sexual intimacy
• Mate selection
• Courtship and engagement
• Wedding, honeymoon and first year world