The following books and articles are some of those appearing on the Comprehensive Reading List for PhD Students in Reformation Studies at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.
1. General Works
- The Hebrew Old Testament
- The Greek New Testament
- Cross, F.L., ed. The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church
- George, Timothy. Theology of the Reformers
- McGrath, Alister. Reformation Thought: An Introduction, 3rd ed.
2. Premature Reformations
- Colet, John. “Sermon to Convocation”
- Erasmus, Desiderius. On the Freedom of the Will
- _______. Enchiridion Militis Christiani
- _______. Paraclesis
- Gerson, Jean. “Ambulate”
- More, Thomas. Utopia
- Wyclif, John. De Simonia
- Leff, Gordon. Heresy in the Later Middle Ages
- Oakley, Francis. The Conciliarist Tradition
3. The Lutheran Reformation
- Luther, Martin. Commentary on Galatians
- _______. On the Bondage of the Will
- _______. On Temporal Authority
- _______. Three Treatises
- _______. The Marburg Colloquy
- The Book of Concord
- Althaus, Paul. The Theology of Martin Luther.
- Lohse, Bernard. Martin Luther: An Introduction to His Life and Work.
4. The Reformed Tradition
- Bucer, Martin. De Regno Christi
- Calvin, John. Institutes of the Christian Religion
- _______. Commentaries
- _______. Theological Treatises
- Cochrane, Arthur C., ed., Reformed Confessions of the Sixteenth Century
- Zwingli, Huldrych. On the Certainty and Clarity of the Word of God
- Barth, Karl. The Theology of the Reformed Confessions
- McNeill, John T. The History and Character of Calvinism
- Wendel, François. Calvin: Sources et Évolution de sa Pensée Religieuse.
- Articles on Calvin’s Exegesis
- Gerrish, B.A. “Biblical Authority and the Continental Reformation.” Scottish Journal of Theology 10 (1950): 337–60.
- Kraus, Hans-Joachim. “Calvin’s Exegetical Principles.” Interpretation 31 (January 1977): 8–18. A Translation of “Calvins Exegetical Prinzipien,” Zeitschrift für Kirchengeschichte 79 (1968): 329–41.
- Muller, Richard. “The Hermeneutic of Promise and Fulfillment in Calvin’s Exegesis of the Old Testament Prophecies of the Kingdom,” in The Bible in the Sixteenth Century, (Durham: Duke University Press, 1990): 68–82.
4. The Radical Reformation
- Bender, Harold, ed. The Complete Writings of Menno Simons
- Estep, William R., ed. Anabaptist Beginnings, 1523 1533
- Hubmaier, Balthasar. Theologian of Anabaptism
- Klassen and Klaassen, eds. The Writings of Pilgrim Marpeck
- Williams, G.H., and A.M. Mergal, eds. Spiritual and Anabaptist Writers
- Estep, William. The Anabaptist Story, 2nd ed.
- Littell, Franklin. The Anabaptist View of the Church
- Williams, G.H. The Radical Reformation, 3rd ed.
5. The English Reformation
- Cranmer, Thomas. A Defense of the True and Catholic Doctrine of the Sacrament of the Body and Blood of Our Savior Christ
- Bray, Gerald, ed. Documents of the English Reformation.
- Latimer, Hugh. Sermons
- Tyndale, William. On the Obedience of a Christian Man
- Dickens, A.G. The English Reformation
- Duffy, Eamon. The Stripping of the Altars
- MacCulloch, Diarmaid. Thomas Cranmer: A Life
- Articles on English Reformation Historiography
- Dickens, A.G. “The Early Expansion of Protestantism in England 1520-1558,” Archiv für Reformationsgeschichte 78 (1987): 187-221
- _____. “The Shape of Anti-clericalism and the English Reformation,” in E.I. Kouri and Tom Scott, eds. Politics and Society in Reformation Europe: Essays for Geoffrey Elton on his Sixty-fifth Birthday (London: Macmillan, 1987), 379-410
- Haigh, Christopher. “Anticlericalism and the English Reformation” History 68 (1983): 391-407
- _____. “Revisionism, the Reformation and the History of English Catholicism,” Journal of Ecclesiastical History 36 (1985): 394-405
- _____. “The Recent Historiography of the English Reformation,” Historical Journal 25 (1982): 995-1007
6. The Catholic Reformation
- Loyola, Ignatius. The Spiritual Exercises and Selected Works
- Pole, Reginald. Defense of Unity of the Church
- The Canons and Decrees of the Council of Trent
- Chemnitz, Martin. Examination of the Council of Trent
- Fenlon, Dermot. Heresy and Obedience in Tridentine Italy: Cardinal Pole and the Counter Reformation
7. The Long Reformation
- An Admonition to Parliament
- Ames, William. The Marrow of Theology
- Browne, Robert. A Treatise of Reformation Without Tarrying for Any
- Articuli Arminiani sive Remonstrantia and Canones Synodi Dordrechtanae
- Ursinus, Zacharias. Commentary on the Heidelberg Catechism
- Collinson, Patrick. The Elizabethan Puritan Movement
- Kendall, R.T. Calvin and English Calvinism to 1649
- White, B.R. The English Separatist Tradition