A few days ago a friend sent me this question,
“Do you have a good suggestion of a book for eschatology? Not emotional or slanderous but one that is thoughtful with the relevant texts. Maybe even a little academic?”
I recommended to him The Rose Guide to End-Times Prophecy, by Timothy Paul Jones. It meets his criteria above and I have used it with some success when teaching in Russia. This might also be a good resource for you. Here is a list of its contents:
Ch. 1 Keeping Your Eyes on the Right End
- Nine false prophets who misled people. Gives 4 reasons to study end times.
Ch. 2 Apocalypse Now and Then
- Basic explanation of Apocalyptic Literature (Book of Revelation, Daniel).
Ch. 3 What Christians Agree About When It Comes to the End of the World
- Includes the 3 truths that all Christians affirm.
Ch. 4 Words You Need to Know When It Comes to the End of the World
- Defines 12 key terms relevant to end-times studies.
Ch. 5 What Happens After the End
Ch. 6 How the Beginning Points to the End
- Includes God’s promises and covenant with Abraham and the end times. Explains different ways that Christians interpret the fulfillment of these promises.
Ch. 7 The Kingdom That Was, Kingdom That’s Yet to Be
Ch. 8 The Prophetic Perspective
- Offers explanations of Gog, Ezekiel’s Temple, etc., and includes possible locations for the Ark of the Covenant.
Ch. 9 Daniel’s Double Vision
- Includes a comparative analysis of Nebuchadnezzar’s dream (The statue with a head of gold, chest of silver, legs of bronze) and Daniel’s vision of beasts.
Ch. 10 The Mystery of the Seventy Weeks
- Show ways that Christians have calculated the book of Daniel’s 70 weeks.
Ch. 11 Why People Missed the Promised Messiah
- Explains 4 reasons why some people of Jesus’ day did not see him as Messiah.
Ch. 12 What Jesus Said About the End of the World
- Explores Jesus’ parables. Examines Jesus’ Olivet Discourse from 2 interpretive views, using phrase-by-phrase analysis.
Ch. 13 Cast of Characters at the End of Time: The Heroes
- What are the 24 elders, the 144,000 witnesses, the great multitude, and the 2 witnesses.
Ch. 14 Cast of Characters at the End of Time: The Villains
- Describes the 7 characteristics of the Antichrist, and the symbolism behind the dragon, the 2 beasts, and the mark of the beast (666).
Ch. 15 Understanding the Book of Revelation
- Explains 21 symbols in Revelation from 4 different views, using verse-by-verse analysis.
Ch. 16 Overview of Amillennialism
Ch. 17 Overview of Postmillennialism
Ch. 18 Overview of Dispensational Premillennialism
Ch. 19 Overview of Historical Premillennialism
Ch. 20 A Quick Guide to Four Views of the End Times
- Diagrams and explanations of the four views. Includes names of key pastors, theologians and scholars who hold each view.
Glossary of terms
Notes Carefully annotated book with well-supported arguments (184 endnotes).